top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Wee Speak is dedicated to helping your child grow and succeed in communication and social connections.  Speech and language therapy can help reduce communication frustration, improve family and peer interactions, increase self-confidence, and support academic success.  

What is a speech-language pathologist (SLP)?

A speech-language pathologist, sometimes referred to as a speech therapist, is a professional healthcare provider who has at least a Master level degree in Speech-Language Pathology. SLPs have extensive training and experience in diagnosing and treating speech sound disorders, developmental language disorders, stuttering, voice disorders, feeding and swallowing disorders, and cognitive-linguistic disorders.

What is an occupational therapist?

An occupational therapist is a healthcare professional who works with clients of all ages and abilities to become as independent as possible. They utilize an evidence-based and holistic treatment approach to ensure their clients meet their goals and thrive in all environments. They use up to date research to treat each client individually while considering their strengths and limitations. Occupational therapists can assist clients with physical, emotional, cognitive, and sensory aspects of life such as dressing, handwriting, peer play, balance, coordination, behavior, emotional regulation, attention, and so much more!

My child is not yet talking. How do I know if he needs help or if he is just a late talker?

A skilled speech-language pathologist can usually identify children who are more at risk for persistent delays, or who are showing signs of more deviant speech language development. The earlier these children are identified, the sooner they can take advantage of intensive early intervention programs.

How do I know if my child needs an evaluation?

A comprehensive evaluation may be necessary if your child is not meeting, or is slowly meeting, developmental milestones or if your child has diagnoses that impact their physical, cognitive, sensory, social, or emotional wellbeing such as ADHD, Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, Blindness, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, etc.

What does the evaluation look like?

The evaluation process is focused on finding out what the client wants and needs to do; determining what the client can do and has done; and identifying supports and barriers to health, well-being, and participation. The occupational therapist will conduct clinical observations of the client throughout a variety of tasks and may utilize a standardized assessment to assist in determining problem areas. The evaluation typically lasts between 45-60 minutes and will conclude with the therapist discussing the results of the evaluation and sharing recommendations with the family.

How long can I expect my child to attend speech or occupational therapy?

The length of therapy cannot be predicted. Children may show immediate improvement, or it may be very gradual. The rate and pattern of improvement is different for every child. Progress is evaluated in three to six month intervals.

Will I attend my child’s speech or occupational therapy session?

It is important for parents to participate in their child’s therapy for success over time. Parent participation may include: in-room therapy participation, out of room observation (through observation rooms), and completion of home activities.

How often will my child go to speech or occupational therapy?​

This depends on the speech-language or occupational needs of the child. Frequency and time of therapy is typically determined at the evaluation. Depending on the needs of the child, he or she may attend once to twice weekly for 30 to 60 minute sessions. Therapy is only increased if needed.

Have more questions? We're happy to help.

bottom of page